One of the best ways of experiencing a marine environment is being out on the water. The purpose of this post is to concentrate on Mission Bay and list all of the available Mission Bay cruises that are offered.
To begin with, I want to take the time here to mention that all cruises that I will be listing do not include whale watching or fishing. I have written extensively on both previously, so please click on the above-underlined links if you would like to get any further information.
Mission Bay History
Mission Bay, home to San Diego’s pride and joy, Seaworld, is located just 13 miles north of Downtown San Diego.
Originally a salt marsh, the city of San Diego put a concerted effort to transform Mission Bay into an aquatic park known as Mission Bay Park. The development of the park initially started in the mid-1940s and continued throughout the 1950s and 1960s.
Once finished, Mission Bay Park spanned over 4235 acres with a combined total of 27 miles of coastline, making it the largest man-made water park in the country! In fact, if you like the ratio’s- Mission Bay Park is 54%water and 46% land.
That is a lot of water! So let’s get on the water now!
Fun Fact- When Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo sailed by here for the first time in 1542, and he named this area ‘False-Bay’, due to the fact that it was a huge tidal marsh.
Mission Bay Cruises
Let us now take a look at the wide variety of Mission Bay cruises that I have found for you! I would like to first start with the larger cruises available and continue with smaller venues, followed by sailing charters.
Cruise San Diego
Ohana– 65 feet double-decker, holds 128 people
- unique design for bay cruises
- year round
- indoor, outdoor sitting
- private charters
- roped off VIP areas, reserved Captains Bridge available
- Sunset Cruise offered every Thursday and Saturday from 4:30 to 5:45
- Mission Bay Cruise-3 pm, 6:45 pm, 8:30 pm
- Adults (18 and older)- $39
- Children (2-17)- $35
- Under 2- Free
Cruise San Diego has a few additional offerings, such as having a chilled bottle of wine waiting for you as well as chilled vodka. Take a look at their website for more information.
The Ohana is docked at the Hyatt Mission Bay Regency Mission Bay Marina.
Bahia Belle Cruises
Bahia Belle– 74-foot, holds up to 160 people
William D Evans– 100-foot, holds up to 450 people
Two Mississippi style sternwheeler triple-decker boats that cruise Mission Bay between the Bahia Resort and Catamaran Hotel and Resort and Spa (see map above.)
Fun Fact- The Bahia Belle, built in 1942, used to ferry military personnel in San Diego Bay.
I found another unique Mission Bay cruise out of Bahia Resort Hotel and its sister property Catamaran Hotel Resort and Spa.
Every weekend (Friday to Sunday) a complimentary family sunset cruise is offered to guests of both resorts.
But, I did find that the public is welcome as well, but for a fee. It must be noted that this cruise is first-come, first-serve and resort guests board first.
- indoor and outdoor seating
- observation deck
- full bar
- Family Sunset Cruise- 6:30 pm-9:30 pm, Friday-Sunday, (except December-February),
- Bahia Afterdark- 9 pm- 12:30 am, live entertainment, DJ’s, $5 drink specials
- New Year’s Eve–see website for information, reservations a must
- Both boats are available for private events- Cruise Packages
Rates-Free to Resort guests, all others $10
There are several boarding times available at both resorts, so for more information, please refer to the Bahia website above.
Mission Bay Wine Cruise
Captain Coupes Launch– 26-foot, holds 2 to 12 people
Hours- 8 am- 9 pm
- enclosure available
- surround sound stereo
- full sized restroom
- mini refrigerator
- centralized heating
- blankets and pillows for your comfort
- Champagne Brunch
- Wine and Cheese
- There are two types of Mission Bay Cruises available-private or open party.
- Open Party Prices- If you have up to 4 people the rate would be $75/person. If you have less than 4 the rate is $89/person.
- Private Charter Prices-
- 2 hours-$690 with $140 deposit
- 3 hours- $840 with $170 deposit
- 4 hours- $990 with $200 deposit
- 5 hours $1140 with $230 deposit
- 6 hours $1240 with $250 deposit
- Call to see what is available, as Open Party Cruises are on a first come, first served basis.
Osprey Yacht Charters
Osprey 62– 62 -foot, holds up to 12 people
Hours- 8 am to 8 pm
- interior has room for 6 to sleep with two cabins and one master suite
- Three heads with showers
- sumptuous and comfortable seating
- 21-foot beam allows for better equalization on the water
- 2-hour Daytime Day Charter
- 3-hour Daytime Day Cruise
- 3-hour Sunset Bay Cruise
- 2-hours- up to 6 people-$600, up to 12 people- $800
- 3-hours- up to 6 people-$800, up to 12 people- $1000
Also Available for:
- Fishing Charters- 1/2 day for $1200
- Ash Scattering
- Private Catalina Charter- 3 days and 3 nights for up to 8 people- $6500
- Private Mexican Outerbanks Charter
- Live Music Boat Concert- cruise Mission Bay, then anchor in the middle of the Bay and enjoy a private concert- $1200
Duffy of San Diego
Duffy Bay Island Electric Boat- 21-foot, electric, silent and eco-friendly
Hours- 9 am to 4:30 pm
Opened every day except Monday with the Captained Wine Cruise only available Wednesday-Sunday.
- Carpeted interior, mahogany tables, cushioned with pillows, a Surry op with a crystal-clear enclosure which may be opened up
- All passengers have their own space and table
- surround sound stereo
- A 90 minute Captained Wine Cruises- includes wine with a cheese and cracker platter. You may upgrade to a Charcuterie plate for an additional fee.
- 6 passenger maximum
- Three time-slots offered: 11:45 am. 1:45 pm, 3:45 pm
- 2 people- $198
- 4 people- $396
- 6 people- $594
- It should also be noted that infants and children count as a passenger.
Duffy of San Diego also offers boat rentals as well, with their vessels being able to fit up to 12 passengers. No boating license is required! Please refer to the website for more information. Sounds like a fabulous way of experiencing Mission Bay while on the water!
Here are the rates: 1.5- hours-$198, 3-hours-$309
Malarky- 47-foot performance sailing catamaran
Available every day for private charters
- four queen beds
- outdoor lounge deck and dining table
- full kitchen
- indoor lounge and dining table
- room for up to 12 people
- Sunset Cruises
- Wind and Wine Cruises
- Family Fun
- La Jolla Tours
- Whale Watching
- Corporate Events
- Sailboat Racing
- 4-hour- $2200
- All Day- $3500
At Malarky Charters, they have stated that their primary goal is for you to feel like this is your boat, your captain and your crew. Experience the waters of Mission Bay like very few do.
Take one step further and customize your adventure with any of these additional add-ons, such as:
- stand up paddleboards
- ocean kayaks
- Aqua Lilypad
- snorkeling equipment
- water slide
- drinks and appetizers
Here is one more Mission Bay cruise that I found. The Game Day package includes first a cruise around Mission Bay, and then the captain will anchor the boat, and you will be able to sit on the deck with seven different televisions broadcasting your game in the middle of Mission Bay. How many people can say that they have ever done that before?
The trip lasts for 4 hours and costs $1600.
Gone Sailing Charters
Shock Wave- 29-foot Chapparel, a high-quality speedboat that has room enough for 1 to 6 people
- full kitchen
- cushioned interior
- wine and beer available
- Mission Bay Cruise
- 2-hours for 1-3 people is $300, 4-6 people is $450
- 3-hours for 1-3 people is $450, 4-6 people is $675
- 4-hours for 1-3 people is $600, 4-6 people is $900
- see website for additional fees for Mission Bay cruises for up to 8 hours
All charters are under the command of a licensed Coast Guard captain. Gone Sailing is happy to charter your ideal Mission Bay cruise, so feel free to tell them your intentions of what you would like to see and experience.
Hot Tub Cruisin
A one of a kind hot tub boat rental!
8 am to 11 pm every day
- the hot tub water can be adjusted for personal preference
- a stereo system that connects to any type of music playing device
- an optional propane grill is available
- an optional 50 quart under seat cooler as well as a 6 quart ‘in the hot tub cooler.’
- Captained Mission Bay Cruise which holds up to 6 people
- 1 hour-$180
- 2 hour-$360
- 3 hour-$540
- 4 hour-$625
Hot Tub Cruisin also offers Self-Captained Cruises as well as Anchored Cruises for up to 10 people. Please refer to their website for additional information.
Seaforth Boat Rentals
I found a little something if you would like to go on a private sailing Mission Bay cruise.
First, I would like to mention the Seaforth Boat Rental is family owned and is the longest established boat rental, tour and charter company in San Diego. In fact, they have four different locations throughout San Diego- Downtown San Diego, Harbor Island, Coronado and finally at Mission Bay.
Every day at 3:30 pm, a 2-hour private sailing tour is offered. There are several vessels to choose-
- Standard (up to 5-7 passengers) $275
- Midsize (up to 10 passengers) $375
- Luxury (up to 10 passengers) $475
- Yacht (up to 12 passengers) $575
- Elite (up to 12 passengers) $700
- Superior (up to 12 passengers) $900
The Sunset Cruise departs one hour before sunset, so times will vary. Please refer to the website for more information.
So which Mission Bay cruise would you be most interested in experiencing? I for one, love the idea of sitting in the middle of the Bay in a hot tub! To be honest, I had a wonderful time researching all of the Mission Bay cruises. Each one has something special.
Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have! Make sure to check back soon as I will be listing all of the San Diego Bay cruises offered out of Downtown San Diego, Harbor Island, and Coronado.
Until next time!
I have always had a deep-seated passion for the Ocean Environment which ultimately led me to receive a degree in Marine Biology. Living in the San Diego area for over 30 years, I have extensively explored the 70 miles of San Diego’s coastline, and I am here to share! Please use my website to your advantage and have a look around at all the wonders that the beaches of San Diego can offer you!